Do eyelashes grow back? Yes, they do! If eyelashes fall out or break off, however, they need a certain amount of time to be able to grow back. This duration is different for each person. However, there are means intended to shorten the period of time.
- The length of the eyelashes is determined individually and genetically. The average number is 150 to 250 lashes on the upper eyelid and 50 to 100 lashes on the lower lash line.
- Eyelashes fall out after about 100 to 150 days.
- The upper lashes are up to 13 millimeters long and the lower hairs up to 8 millimeters long.
Do eyelashes grow back – the three phases of eyelash growth
Eyelash growth can be divided into three phases:
- Anagen phase: In the first phase, eyelashes mainly grow in length. The growth phase lasts about 30 to 45 days. In the end, eyelashes have a length of up to 13 millimeters. The duration of the first phase and also the length of the eyelashes depends on various factors, such as gender, age and the nutrients and vitamins that are ingested through food.
- Catagen phase: In the second phase, the eyelashes no longer grow longer. Cell production stops and the hair root anchors itself in the eyelid.
- Telogen phase: The third phase is to be understood as the resting phase. In the next 100 days, the hair root regenerates, a new eyelash grows back, causing the old eyelash to be shed and fall out. Thus, eyelash growth starts again from the beginning (starting with phase one).
Accelerate eyelash growth – tips and tricks
- Daily care: Apply a thin layer of Vaseline or nourishing coconut, jojoba or castor oil to the eyelashes every day. This supplies the hairs with moisture during the growth phase and prevents the eyelashes from drying out. But the use of an eyelash serum also has a supporting effect on the growth of the eyelashes and makes them longer and thicker.
- Proper nutrition: Biotin strengthens the eyelashes and prevents the hairs from falling out prematurely. Biotin is found, for example, in eggs, salmon, bananas, carrots, nuts or beans.
- Massages: Massage the eyelid for a few minutes every day. This stimulates blood circulation and the hair roots to grow eyelashes. Alternatively, brush the eyelashes.
This is how you can prevent eyelashes from falling out
- Don’t forget to remove your makeup! Otherwise, the eyelashes can break off. Oil-based make-up removers are ideal.
- Apply a nourishing oil or eyelash serum to the lash line.
- Avoid mascara more often. This allows the eyelashes to regenerate and the hairs are supplied with moisture and nutrients that are necessary for healthy growth. So don’t apply mascara to your eyelashes too often!
- Never pluck your eyelashes. This increases the risk that the hairs will fall out earlier.
If you’re in a hurry and can’t wait for oils, serums and the like to take effect, thank God there’s still eyelash extensions. You can find all information here. We will also explain how you can conjure up more volume for your eyelashes. And here we have tips for trimming eyebrows and shaving eyebrows.
Also Read: How to Make Lip Balm Without Beeswax